Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Reflecting On Bubby Day

In addition to Ali's premature start to Bubby Day, we had sundaes for lunch, and then we went to the zoo. After the zoo we found a Baskin Robbins. But this was not an ordinary Baskin Robbins. It was - wait, it was an ordinary Baskin Robbins! That's what was so exciting! It was a full 31-Flavors Baskin Robbins, unlike the now widespread combo Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins that have only the basic flavors (you know, your garden variety vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, mint-chocolate-chip, etc .) and a handful of specialty or trendy flavors.

The old-school solo Baskin Robbins outlets have the basic flavors and the specialty flavors and a broader range of in-between flavors, including my favorite flavor of all, Chocolate Fudge. I don't mean Chocolate; I don't mean Chocolate Fudge Brownie. I'm talking about Chocolate Fudge. Well, it's been very hard to come by in the current climate of combo-franchises.

But lo and behold! Right across the street from where we parked the car, a couple blocks down from the main entrance to the National Zoo in Washington, DC, there is an old-school Baskin Robbins, and among the 31 flavors they offer is my old friend, Chocolate Fudge! Oh baby!

I have had many sugar cones with a scoop or two of Chocolate Fudge at the Baskin Robbins at the corner of Greenfield and Lincoln, thanks to Bubby, and this was for me a perfect way to celebrate Bubby Day.

By the way, did anyone get a stomach ache? I'm surprised that I didn't. I guess it just goes to show how special of a day it really was. Oh, and I had Phish Food yesterday too. None today though. I think I've really had enough for this week.

Oh, and I think I figured out why Bubby would always have ice cream on her birthday. Baskin Robbins has a birthday club thingy, where you get free ice cream on your birthday. It is unclear if they actually check that it is really your birthday, or if it is possible to fake multiple birthdays. We're looking into that possibility ourselves. Guess we'll have to report back on that some other time.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

No stomach ache. KILLER ice cream headache though. Worth every second of it.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

Well, ice cream headaches are collateral damage anyway.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home