Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Moving On

Well, with Bubby Day behind us, I guess it's time for someone (I guess it'll be me) to begin fulfill the second purpose of this blog, keep us all in touch.

As you may or may not know, Ali has started law school. So now you know. What you still may not know is that she's working nearly full time. Yes, that's right, she's working 30 hours a week and going to law school at night. At first she was working 40 hours a week, but it was overwhelming so she took a paycut and dropped her hours.

As for me, I'm now teaching Hebrew School at Bnai Shalom of Olney, a Conservative congregation about 20-30 minutes away from where we live in Silver Spring. I only just started this week, but it's been going well so far. This is part time stuff, and the hours are great. I don't think I could have done this last year, but with Ali not getting home until after 10 almost every night, I have nothing to do in the evenings anyway, and it's not much work, so I might as well drive an hour round-trip and get some money in my pocket while I look for a full time job.

By the way, on the topic of my job search, you may have heard that I was waiting for a security clearance to work as an Arabic translator for a government agency. I am no longer waiting for that clearance, because there were cutbacks in the program I was supposed to be going into.

On the plus side, I have had two interviews for a really interesting job with the National Air Traffic Controllers Association. READ: No, I am NOT becoming an air traffic controller! I wish I had a dollar - well, make it 50 or 100 dollars - for every time I've been asked that question. It would be a communications job, involving a lot of writing and editing, which is another of my passions. The interviews seemed to go well, I think, so I'm being cautiously optimistic.

That's all from here, so please add your own lives to this blog.

As you all know, it's hard for all of us to keep in touch with any regularity, so this is a good way to just put your day or your week or your semi-significant events (one would hope the really significant stuff would be communicated directly by phone call or letter) out there for the rest of us to read about and know what's happening.

Shanah Tovah to all; may we all have a sweet, happy, healthy new year.

And remember, if anyone wants to be an administrator so you can invite someone else to join the blog, like a spouse or parent, just ask and it's yours. I just wanted to start with Bubby's grandchildren, since we are the ones who entitled her to her real name ("Ruth", "Mom" and "Gigi" are just her nicknames, obviously)!

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Weiss said...

"Communications job" at the "National Air Traffic Controllers Association"? Sounds like a cover story to me. Don't worry, your secret is safe with us.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an awesome tradition. I might have to start something like that.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home